There’s nothing worst than expecting to read an article about “delicious” healthy food, then finding that these so-call healthy foods are well…. not so delicious after all. Dried walnuts and Kale chips? No thanks. The goal should be to find healthy foods that even a stoner would find delicious. Here are some we found:
1. Dark chocolate covered frozen bananas. A snack that is both tasty and nutritious, this treat is an excellent replacement when you are craving a dessert, especially when it’s hot. Who needs ice cream anymore?! Ben and Jerry who?!
2. Baby Carrots and Hummus. Everyone loves a good dip. Hummus is becoming more of a nutritious trend these days. Baby carrots alone? Forget about it! But that’s not an excuse to turn to ranch or blue cheese. Stick with hummus! There’s all kinds of different flavors–garlic, roasted pepper, vegetable. Hate carrots? Try zucchini!
3. Greek Yogurt Parfait with Cookie Crumbs. Don’t just settle for greek yogurt alone. That will bore your taste buds. But give the greek a chance. Throw in some blueberries, strawberries, granola or even cookie crumbs! You’ll be surprised with how tasty it could really be!!
4. Mini Flourless Cupcake. I say mini because that’s really all you’ll have room for. The flour less cup cake is so delicious and it’s gluten-free! The best part is that it’s so rich, a small taste will go a long way. Treat yourself to one of these small delightful sweets when you decide on your next dessert.
5. Frozen Sour Grapes. I absolutely love these during the summer. They are like tiny popsicles. A cool and tasty treat, you can suck on the grapes for a while making it a great replacement for hard candy!
6. Blueberry Fetta Kale Salad. No one particularly “loves” kale. Except maybe the fact that it’s good for you. You rarely hear that someone is just craving kale by itself. But there’s no doubt that it is good for you. So why not add a few things to make its taste value match it’s nutritious value? It’s simple. Add some goodies. Blueberries, stringed carrots, walnuts and my favorite–feta cheese crumbles. You obviously shouldn’t go crazy with the cheese, but a little bit of feta really goes a long way.
7. Cool-shaped Fruit. I know it sounds silly. This one is a really good idea when you’re trying to decide whether or not to bring chips and salsa or a plate of fruit to that party you’re going to. Do you serve the girls chips or pretzels for movie night? Do you have one glass of top shelf whiskey on the rocks? Or do you have a few IPAs? Unfortunately, there’s a healthier option out of all of these pairs. Fruits like watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew and pineapple are not only a healthier option for a snack, they’re also boring. So make it fun! Because the truth is, we all love watermelon, most of us love pineapple, and believe it or not, there are some people out there who love cantaloupe. So make it more appealing. Grab some cookie cutters!! Hearts, stars and moon-shaped melons, batman-shaped water melon, whatever you’re in the mood for!
8. Whole Olives and Baby Dill Pickles. Let’s start with the pickles. There’s a reason why Disneyland sells giant dill pickles as a snack. They’re good! And most can agree the crunchier, the better. The reason why I suggest the baby deli ones is because you can get a whole jar of them, keep them in your fridge and next time you’re feeling the munchies, pop a few in your mouth! Not a pickle fan? Whole black olives are another tasty snack. Grab a can from the grocery store, throw them in a bowl and start munching!
Eating healthy is not easy. It sucks to have to give up some of your favorite snacks that have been there for you through every break up, stressful work day, and celebration. But you know what also sucks? Working hard on that long run and blowing it all away on one meal. Or that awful feeling of regret as soon as you swallow the last bite of those chili fries. Keep in mind that moderation and portion control is always an important aspect and too much of anything is never good for you.
Don’t be fooled into thinking there aren’t healthy alternatives– and don’t let big brands make you believe you have to spend all this money to be a healthy eater either! The right information is there, you just have to grab it and take a big bite out of it. Happy eating!!